Comment on page
This guide is primarily intended for first time MetaMask and Lattice users, but you might find it useful even if you're not new to the app and you want to make sure you're doing everything right when installing a MetaMask instance on a new computer or re-installing.
1. Download and install the extension - make sure to get the browser one!
2. Pin the extension in your browser so you can access it with a single click:
3. Open the extension, agree to MetaMask's terms and then click on Create a new wallet.
Why create a wallet and not import your existing one?
This is because MetaMask has to have a default hot wallet (Account 1), which cannot be a hardware wallet. You've already imported your wallet to the Lattice1 (or created a new one) during the initial device setup and now you just need to establish a connection between your hardware wallet and MetaMask - we'll get there soon!
4. Choose if you want the app to collect user data or not (up to you) and on the next page, create a password - this password is only used to access the browser extension - if you forget it, you can re-install the extension and set a new one. Check the box and click on Create a new wallet.
5. On the next screen, click on Secure my wallet (recommended), reveal the seed phrase, click on Copy to clipboard and then on Next.
6. You will need to input some random words from this seed phrase in the next window to confirm you've noted it down. You can paste the seed phrase to notepad or even the URL bar and then just type in the correct words.
This 12-word seed phrase is different from the one you have on the Lattice and unlocks a different wallet (the default MetaMask hot wallet - Account 1).
You don't need to save this seed phrase unless you want to use the default MetaMask hot wallet for something, such as NFT mints etc. If you just plan on using MetaMask with your Lattice, you will not need it.
You can always reveal the seed phrase words to this hot wallet in MetaMask settings under the Security & Privacy tab, but we recommend you don't use the hot wallet at all.
Then, just click on Confirm and you're done with basic setup. There you go!